Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thoughts on Internet Safety


It's simply common sense to be as safe as you can on the internet, just as you would exercise as much safety as possible in other parts of your life. Even with constantly-updated security software, my computer got a terrible trojan virus last December. Fortunately, I was able to find how to disable this terrible dilemma and get my computer back to normal.

I also recognize that you must be careful when forwarding links to students and families, because you cannot control what kind of pop-ups, advertisements, or other suggested links might be associated with what you are recommending. For instance, I was going to forward a link to parents of my junior-high students, which has some material related to our class. However, I discovered that many of the advertisements on the website came from a singles dating site. The content of the ads were rated PG, but I still did not want to be associated with sending families to that website.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of issue? How have you dealt with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment