Thursday, July 15, 2010

More thoughts about podcasting

As a music teacher and choral director, I have some ideas of how podcasting might be used:

First of all, I wonder if it would be possible to record part of a choral rehearsal as an mp3 for absent singers to listen to. It would be a way of "making up" a missed class, rather than missing all the material that was presented.

I think this would be an ideal way for singers to be able to practice their individual voice parts at home. I have done this via an external website in the past, which required lots of uploading and passwords. The wiki format makes this easier for me to use, and easier for the students to access.

As a college instructor, podcasting would also be an ideal way to record a class lecture for an absent student, perhaps only with advance notification, e.g., we ocassionally have students traveling for academic purposes, and I could record my lecture in class that day and be able to deliver it to them. (You wouldn't want students to miss class on purpose, using the excuse of "I'll just listen to the podcast!)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin,

    I love your blog layout. Good stuff!! I also like your idea about recording choir practice. This makes a lot of sense to me, since the practice is a living thing that needs to be heard and experienced. In a similar way, I think that recording class lectures may be better than offering transcripts to students who missed class.

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
    Cool blog. As a former choir student, I like the idea of a rehearsal podcast, and I would have also appreciated a practice track of my own individual part, too. Just a thought.

    Travis

    ReplyDelete